Sunday, September 18, 2011

It's raining in India. A gentle but consistent evening rain. The kinds that leaves a cool echo in its wake and that begs of tales told while sipping sweet tea on a wrap around porch somewhere in Georgia. Im not in Georgia, however, somehow it calls to me just the same. While sitting criss cross applesauce on my narrow balcony with my sweet mandarin tea (the hubby packed it) I suddenly observe a group of men running for an awning. They hurriedly park their motorbikes and took off for the tailor shop which has a small orange metal awning. They are talking and laughing with the proprietor of the shop and their voices echo off of my building. The wet has covered the road and the tops of all of the apartment buildings, however it is slowing down now. Good wives are rearranging newly soaked laundry they had hoped would be dry by morning. I know they are thinking "darn rain".  My tea is cooling off and I can now actually enjoy a sip. Yum. Twilight has settled across Adarsh Nagar and the very last bit of the sunset is peaking through the clouds, specked by the remaining falling rain droplets.  There is a family that lives in the building across the street from us and their balcony faces mine. They have two little boys and they are reaching out to catch the rain while their parents watch from two plastic lawn chairs. And just as surprisingly swift as the rain came, it disappears.  What a pleasant surprise on this warm Summer evening in India. 

No comments:

Post a Comment