Saturday, August 27, 2011

The distance is what you make it...

Originally I had planned to stay uber busy with work so as not to notice that I was missing Jerome, home, church community,  and doing life with friends and family back in Atlanta. However, I have realized it is ok to have days where you just want to be home and to embrace those days. This experience can be whatever I want it to be, even if crazy India conditions try to tell me otherwise. It can be a positive or a negative based on both my mindset and outlook. I believe that serving is learning and that if I focus on what I believe I am called to do, the rest will fall into place.  The distance is what you make it...

I was talking to a friend today on skype who asked how I was doing living in a foreign country and if I was finding it hard to adjust to a new work environment. To be honest, as long as I can cook, especially for others, I will be just dandy. Food is therapy for me, and I don't mean just eating it. Creating meals that warm me up and make my tongue dance is a joy.  Tonight's dinner was my old standby, which my wonderful sister-in law, Kathryn, passed down to me from a website (however I have tweaked it a bit). 

Say hello to Garlic Balsamic Honey Chicken: 

Ingredients: 
Balsamic Vinegar 4 Tbp 
Honey 1/4 cup 
3 Garlic Cloves - finely chopped (Drop it to two if you are not one of those people who cares if they have garlic breath. I am not and therefore I go with 3).
2 tsp all purpose seasoning (India version of this is fantastic from Spar)
1 medium tomato - diced
1 medium red onion - roughly chopped
1 cup sliced portabello mushrooms
Salt and Pepper 
2 Tbs Olive Oil 
1tsp butter
2 boneless skinless chicken breast

1) Heat oil in a qt sized pot and add onion and garlic on medium heat and let cook down
2) Add mushrooms, tomato, all purpose seasoning and butter then let this simmer down for a few mins until the onions and mushrooms are getting soft
3) Add balsamic vinegar and honey and give it a good stir
4) Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste 
5) Turn heat back up to medium and toss in the chicken and cover
6) Chicken will take about 3-4 mins on each side depending on thickness so just babysit the chicken a bit
7) Clean up what is laying around and wait for the amazingness to finish cooking
8) Check chicken for doneness and then slice on a cutting board and plate
9) Cover with sauteed yummy garlic honey goodness and EAT! 

This meal takes 15 mins flat from start to finish. Serve with buttered peas and quinoa and you will be a winner the next time your family graces the dinner table with its presence. 

Distance is what you CHOOSE to make it. Happy eating! 




3 comments:

  1. Love you! Glad you've used the recipe more than the one time I made it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one too, enjoyed your wording about cooking and the therapy of it and the joy, very true. Will be trying that recipe myself sometime soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM...a fun new recipe!

    I hope you're doing well over there...and it's ok to miss your man, but just remember: it's not forever. At least, that's what I try to think whenever I'm missing someone who isn't around.

    The distance is what you make it (love it!)...so make it something worthwhile! :)

    ReplyDelete